Speech, Language and Social Communication
This may include:
- Understanding language.
- Using language.
- Understanding how to communicate socially with other people.
It includes conditions such as Specific Language Disorders, ASD/ASC (Autism), Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorders/delay.
What Can St. Peter's offer?
- Please note: These options need to be agreed upon for each student in conjunction with parents/carers and then regularly reviewed /modified.
All students can access:
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEN practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- Dedicated and caring staff who value all students regardless of ability
Support for targeted groups of students may include:
- Assessment and identification of language need and feedback to parents and staff.
- Small group social skills sessions for 6-8 weeks.
- In class teaching assistant support in some lessons.
- Extra transition sessions for Year 6 (and sometimes from year 5 where needed).
- Nurture class/adapted curriculum
Targeted individual support may include:
As for all St. Peter’s students plus…
- 1:1 sessions with other support staff linked to other needs on EHCP.
- Individual teaching assistant time in some mainstream lessons.
- On-going monitoring and regular feedback to parents and students.
- Individual social stories.
- A safe place to go and someone to talk to when they need some time out.
- Exam access arrangements
- Post-16 transition support including extra bespoke visits to colleges.
- Keyworkers for students with statements/EHCs or high level need