Literacy and Learning
Literacy and learning difficulties can include:
- Reading and spelling
- Learning new information and concepts
- Working with numbers
- Working memory
Students may have conditions such as Specific Learning Difficulties, dyslexia, general learning difficulties, AD(H)D, Down’s Syndrome.
Students may present with difficulties that do not have a specific title.
All students can access:
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEN practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- Dedicated and caring staff who value all students regardless of ability.
Support for target groups of students may include:
- Blocks of 1:1 small group lessons that focus on a range of needs such as literacy, comprehension and spelling.
- Nurture class/adapted curriculum
The nurture group is an adapted curriculum which is fun, engaging and designed to maximise opportunities for progress in literacy. This includes:
A reading/spelling scheme to ensure rapid progress.
A nurturing environment in a smaller classroom with full-time TA support.
Personalised targets and feedback to give the students a sense of their achievement.
Weekly opportunities for extra-curricular activities to broaden the students’ experiences and build their confidence and self-esteem.
Pastoral support at break and lunchtimes in G1.
- Where needed, help from an external agency (e.g. Psychologist)
- Teaching Assistant support in some lessons.
- Break and lunch supported centre for vulnerable students.
- Screening for dyslexic tendencies
Targeted individual support may include:
- On-going tailor made 1:1 tuition in the SEND department, led by a teacher or teaching assistant under the instruction of the SENDCo
- Where needed, help from an external agency (e.g. Educational Psychologist)
- Termly testing for students with literacy difficulties to review and plan.
- In class Teaching Assistant support in targeted lessons.
- External agency advice where needed.
- Exam access Arrangements.
- Post 16 Transition support.
- Keyworkers for students with statements/EHCs or high level need
Any interventions will be determined for each student in conjunction with their parents/carers and will be regularly reviewed and modified as required.
Side panel – LA Dyslexia Guidance Report